If you’re still running a VMWare Version < 6 you might know that VMWare is using a SQL-Express Database for its Management. This Express Edition has limits and if they are reached, nothing will work (inside VMWare Managment).
To purge the database (which runs into the License Limit…) do the following:
- start SQL-Management Studio to access the database
- Select top 200 rows for the dbo.VPX.Parameter table
- Edit the Values of Event.MaxAge to 30, MaxAgeEnabled to true
- Edit the Values Task.maxAge to 30 and task.MaxAgeEnabled to true
- Last step is to run the stored procedure: dbo.cleanup_events_task_proc
- Wait… this can take a while….
Since VMWare 6.0 they switched to Postgres Database, but afaik they still need a MS SQL-Database for the VMWare-Update Manager…